If Twitter Community Had 100 People, Here's How They'd Look

If Twitter Were 100 People

Only 5% have more than 100 followers, and only 5% create 75% of the tweets.

Original image . Thanks, Hashem!

1. # Martin Lindeskog said: July 31st, 2009 at 11:05 am

It is the 80/20 rule – Pareto principle in action again! :) I have more than 100 followers, but I don’t hope that I will be called a loud mouth! ;)

2. # Chas said: July 31st, 2009 at 11:12 am

I’m with you! I have around 700 followers, but after seeing this infographic I’m going to be extra vigilant about avoiding loud-mouth behavior.

3. # Rachel - Last Res0rt said: July 31st, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong — are we talking 100 followers in general / in real twitter terms?

’cause in a hypothetical community of 100 folks, that must mean we have quite a few “secondary” accounts floating around ;)

4. # Analisa said: July 31st, 2009 at 4:17 pm

If there are only 100 people on Twitter, how can 5 people have more than 100 followers?

But seriously, this is a great graphic expression of the reality of Twitter…and reminds us to take statistics with a grain of salt (ie how many people are on Twitter vs how many people actually use it!).

5. # Duc Nguyen said: July 31st, 2009 at 4:23 pm

If you have more than 100 followers and none of them are loud mouths, chances are, you are the loud mouth. haha

6. # Chris Grayson said: August 1st, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I have over 100 followers, and fear I may also be one of the loud mouths.

(FYI- My name is linked to my Twitter profile.)

7. # Anto said: August 2nd, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Interesting, but what are the grey coloured people?

8. # Bengo said: August 2nd, 2009 at 1:51 pm

What is the overlap between loudmouths and people with 100+ followers?

That would be interesting to know.

My impression of Twitter is that it is mostly shouting into the darkness. Most Tweets are obscure, lead to links that go unfollowed or are frivolous. People make much less effort to compose interesting tweets than they did 18 months ago.

“Ah, look at all the lonely people…”

9. # Chas said: August 2nd, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Yeah, what is up with the gray people?!

10. # Twitter’s More Effective than Facebook at Driving Traffic to Content said: August 3rd, 2009 at 8:28 pm

[...] “broad appeal” as I get, pictures of Bugs Bunny and all. The Twitter-promoted story was If Twitter Community Had 100 Members, an infographic illustrating Twitter usage patterns. Less mainstream, but also highly relevant to [...]

11. # schuyler said: August 4th, 2009 at 6:19 pm

If there was only 100 users how would anyone have more than 100 followers?

12. # Anonymous said: August 4th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

The gray people are people who aren’t lazy, dead, loudmouths or followed. At least that’s what this graphic leads me to believe…

13. # Chas said: August 5th, 2009 at 5:20 am

I think the gray folks represent Twitterers with fewer than 100 followers, yet they’re not part of the 5% who create 75% of the tweets.

14. # Rule 34 said: August 5th, 2009 at 6:03 am

Why do people care about Twitter so much? Why devote more time to stalking others rather than be involved in real life to dull the pain of how boring your own life is? Twitter is the worst thing to get popular on the internet recently, and if you disagree with me then you are probably a stupid, bored middle-aged jackass who jumped on the “I’m not happy with my life and want to be involved with technology” bandwagon when you were finally bludgeoned to death by the fame of this really pointless timesuck.

15. # Steve Bent said: August 5th, 2009 at 7:31 am

Yeah Chas – makes sense.

That makes me gray….(or maybe purple!!?)

16. # Weekly Wrap-Up: 8-10-09 « Hard Knox Life - Dave Knox Brand Management blog said: August 10th, 2009 at 11:15 am

[...] If Twitter had 100 People…:  5% of the people create 75% of the Tweets [...]

17. # Zoran said: August 10th, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wonder how it would be if everyone use it more maybe they would crash.

18. # timethief said: August 17th, 2009 at 6:31 pm

I’m with Rule 34. twitter is a time suck. I’m pretty much over it and I’m sick of removing the followers that are bots. I’m also sick of the many phony baloney ways of getting followers and making money being devised every day. IMHO twitter was a good thing that’s gone off the rails.

19. # Thyme said: August 23rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Some of those dead people aren’t actually dead; they’re just mute.

Like me, I’ve never written a tweet but I do follow some people. :P

20. # Amatoc said: March 17th, 2010 at 10:14 am

So… out of 100 people… 5 of them have more than 100 followers…
    Hm… Math fail

21. # uberVU - social comments said: March 17th, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by chasnote: Twitter population broken down by activity and made into an infographic, . Thanks, @hashembajwa http://digg.com/u19kv1

22. # Dave said: December 25th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have over a thousand followers and still feel so pathetic and insecure about myself I had to take the time just to tell you strangers how many people follow my inane verbal vomit, please follow me, it’s all the life I have.
    I’m not a loudmouth, just a sad little person that thinks the world gives a shit what I think even though deep down I know it doesn’t, but I just can’t stop tweeting. Mostly re-tweeting since I am incapable of independent thought. I’ll follow you if you follow me k?